Cryptoheros Nanoluteus tank mates

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
Are there any other small/medium CA/SA cichlids that would make suitable tank mates for my nanos? I'm going to move them up to my 55 gallon in a few months when I move my GT to his new tank. I have 6 of them growing out in a 36x12 tank at the moment.

They're already noticeably growing. Very cool and active fish for sure

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To me nanoluteus small size, restricts there tank mates to something like other geographically correct live bearers, or other small non-cichlids. When I tried to keep mine with other cichlids, (although they held their own) the nanoluteus seemed to not show the brilliant colors they'd show if kept with less stress causing tank mates.

Poecilia gillii, or the genus Phallichthys are live bearers that might be found in the same Central American waters, and would inhabit the surface areas of the tank providing the appropriate dither effects that cichlids appreciate, and action in different areas of the tank.
Or Olimina (flame rivulus) killifish are also from the same waters in Panama and Costa Rica where nanoluteus are native, but many other killifish are beautiful and different enough to not seem to be competitors, and stress out the cichlids.

chazwood918

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
CT
I agree with Duane, although I like to offer the optimists point of view as well. Cichlids are more intelligent that the overwhelming majority of fish. Easiest proof of this is how quickly they'll learn that your presence by the tank likely mean food, so they all cluster together at the normal feeding site.

That said, they're tempermants vary. It's not always the case, but with cichlids more times than not, size plays a major role. Plus you already have these guys in a group of 3. Possibly mbunas or even a single jack dempsey (electric blue if you don't mind a search and slightly higher price tag to have one of the coolest looking fish out there). But no matter what you put in there you'll need to monitor them for at least 2 weeks until everything has "settled". If the tank has enough space and provides multiple areas for them to have a territory, you certainly can make something work. It all depends on how diligent you plan to be.

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
To me nanoluteus small size, restricts there tank mates to something like other geographically correct live bearers, or other small non-cichlids. When I tried to keep mine with other cichlids, (although they held their own) the nanoluteus seemed to not show the brilliant colors they'd show if kept with less stress causing tank mates.

Poecilia gillii, or the genus Phallichthys are live bearers that might be found in the same Central American waters, and would inhabit the surface areas of the tank providing the appropriate dither effects that cichlids appreciate, and action in different areas of the tank.
Or Olimina (flame rivulus) killifish are also from the same waters in Panama and Costa Rica where nanoluteus are native, but many other killifish are beautiful and different enough to not seem to be competitors, and stress out the cichlids.
I'll probably just keep them as a species tank then. If the 30 gallon ends up being too small for the 6 of them I'll just move some to another small tank. I do have a super red BNP in there which they don't seem to mind at all. He's an amazing algae eater and I don't have to scrub the glass nearly as much so he will stay for now.

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
I must say when I got these guys I thought they got more towards the 4 inch range but now I'm reading stuff that seems to indicate they stay smaller than that. If they get to a reasonable size I think the 6 may end up in the 55 alone. I don't like to overstock but being that the acrylic 55 is my living room display I want it to be decently stocked with active good looking fish.

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
When full grown, and it took a couple years, the largest of my half dozen topped out around 4", and easily maxed out a 55 (albeit with live bearers as dithers).

I would suppose being similar in size, that Honduran Red Points might work as tank mates in a large enough space, but for me personally, whenever similar shaped cichlid species are mixed, it always seems they see each other as competitors, causing aggression issues.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Completely agree with duanes. if it were my tank I would keep the nanos as the centre piece fish with some biotope correct livebearers.
Your cichlids will shine kept like this.

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
What I was considering for tank mates originally were a pair or trio of guianacara geayi or one of the similar species of bandit cichlids because someone in the fish club breeds them frequently. It does sound like 6 fish may be enough though if they get near 4"

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Guianacara probably would work out well, although they do get a bit meaty for that size tank. I had some Guianacara in with my nanoluteus for a while in a 150 gal without issue, they were different enough that the two species basically ignored each other.

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
Wow what a chunker he was! They are definately cool fish and I wouldn't attempt to add them to the 30 long where the nanos are now. I think a pair of them with 4-6 nanos in a 55 would be stocked if not pushing it for sure. I have to check more into whats available in the club as far as the bandits go because it does seem like the different localities or variants seem to differ in size and appearance a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store