Review: S4 League

Kaitou Kid

WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE EUROPEAN SERVERS. A NORTH AMERICAN SERVER IS UNDER PRODUCTION AND THE KOREAN SERVERS ARE ONLY AVALIBLE TO THOSE WITH VALID KOREAN SOCIAL SECURITY.

S4 League is a Korean Massive Multiplayer Online Third Person Shooter(MMOTPS) created by Pentavision, the creators of the DJMax series. Style, eSper, Shooting, and Sports are the 4 "S" that represent this game.

In S4 League we have 2 basic team-based modes, Touchdown and Deathmatch, with a third being released soon called "Chaser Mode." The gameplay is...addictive to say the least. I'm not even going to explain Deathmatch. It’s your simple Pew Pew till one team gets enough frags. Touchdown is a capture the flag with a twist. Instead of each team having a flag there is a ball called a "Fumbi" in the center of the map. When the Fumbi is picked up a beam of light is shined above your head so everyone knows your location. While you have the ball your energy (known as "SP") is drained at a fast pace which will prevent you from running, dodging, wall-jumping, or using any non-passive skills. This makes it even more difficult to score. When the ball drops anybody can pick it up. Thus it is smart to have teammates back you up. When either team has half of the required win points/frags the game goes into half-time. It is quite random. 3 Fumbi will dance. Which fits to any tune. During that time you can switch characters which posses’ different weapons/skills. Chaser Mode selects a random person to be the chaser, and must kill all players within the time limit. Players must survive the chaser to gain points, the person that obtains the most points wins. (Taken from my Wikipedia Edit)

This game has a good selection of weapons staying true to the shooting aspect of the game. This covers you Sniping Cannonade and Rail gun to your Mid-Close range SMG and Smash Rifle to you Melee Storm Bat and Counter sword and even your sentry Neil and Gun. Upon headshot (or equal elevation when using the Mind Shock and Energy) you get a critical, which of course does more damage. You also have to kinds of skills. Passive which take no SP and Active which takes SP to use. There is HP Mastery (HP+30), Flying, and more.

[spoiler=All Weapons]

Plasma Sword

Counter Sword

Storm Bat

Sub Machine Gun

Handgun

Revolver

Heavy Machine Gun

Shotgun (Korean)

Gauss Rifle

Smash Rifle

Semi Rifle

Grenade Launcher (Korean)

Cannonade

Rail gun

Sentry Gun

Sentry Neil

Mind Energy

Mind Shock

[spoiler=All Skills]

Flying

Anchor

HP Mastery

SP Mastery

Shield

Invisibility

Detect

Block

Bind

As for your characters you have a Korean Chuck Norris and a Korean Sniper that you will spend more time looking up her skirt than you will playing. So your Male and Female. You can customize them with clothing that will add gameplay boosts. It has a nice selection of clothing. Their real personality comes with what you equip them with. But it is really just your imagination for there is no story of S4. There is The Korean Only Arcade Mode but I can’t translate it so....

The music is very fast paced and upbeat which is no surprise coming from the minds behind DJ Max. The game also lets you use custom music by using Ogg Vorbis (.ogg) files and dragging them into a BGM folder in the games install path.

Now sadly there are some bad things. Though this is a team based game you get your stragglers that will never work with their team, your gloaters, and your pros that make new accounts so they can destroy newbs(different from a noob). And you can "ball lag" which makes the ball always appear in the same place regardless if somebody is carrying it. And you can get invisible players. Not players that hack but players who lag so badly that you can’t see them. And if you can see them they are near impossible to kill.

In the end it’s a good game, it’s free and I highly recommend it. Let’s get the breakdown.

+Good music

+Varied weapons and Skills

+Large player base

+Stylish anime graphics

+Addictive Gameplay

-Latency issues (Servers are in Europe and people from across the globe use these servers.)

-Laggy players can ruin the game

-Rude/Unsupportive Community

-Some bad translation

In the end I give it a B+, Check the game out. And if you do make sure you “Show me your S4!”

[spoiler=ScreenShots]

311910_full.jpg

S4-League-Client_8.jpg

North American S4 League

European S4 League

Korean S4 League

Archived