cichlid looks like a calico cat!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
mee mee- The first one is a Blotched Zebra and the second is a Blotched peacock. Nice try though.

The chances of breeding Blotched peacocks are very low. The chances of getting a pair are low and since they are hybrids they are less likey to breed. a blotched peacock is a hybrid between a zebra and a peacock.

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
They look like OB peacocks to me, although I've never seen any in person or for sell online. Thats what I would imagine an OB peacock looking like though. ;) They do look like full peacocks to me.

Labeotropheus fuelleborni is a Mbuna, and not what you have. Peacocks are Aulonocara.....which you have. I can't tell the sexes though, but based on the rounded anal fins that I think I see in each picture, it looks like you have females, though its hard to tell.

magakitty

Normal people scare me
Apr 5, 2007
Palm Springs
mysobrietyspace.ning.com
Labeotropheus fuelleborni is a Mbuna, and not what you have. Peacocks are Aulonocara.....which you have. I can't tell the sexes though, but based on the rounded anal fins that I think I see in each picture, it looks like you have females, though its hard to tell.
Thank you, GirlieGirl for the validation :)

Unfortunately, the more I look at them the more I am sure they are two girls. Well, we will have to find a handsome prince for them! :cool2:

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
Good job GirlieGirl. Thanks for the input. As i was saying one is a Peacock and one is not. Finally someone knows a good thing about fish.

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
They look like OB peacocks to me, although I've never seen any in person or for sell online. Thats what I would imagine an OB peacock looking like though. ;) They do look like full peacocks to me.

she has 2 ob peacock cichlids not one thank you GirlieGirl8521

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
orange blotch zebra cichlid

This is an orange blotch (marmalade cat) zebra cichlid looks like
Baensch (1996): Aquarium Atlas Volume 1 p 730, 6", "eats microfoods"
Konings (1990): Book Of Cichlids And All The Other Fish Of Lake Malawi p 273-277, 10 cm, sediment-free rocky habitat; Koniga goes to a great deal of trouble to justify the separation of fuelleborni and trewavasae but in the end is somewhat unconvincing since the two species can be identical in appearance when they are from different sites
Axelrod (1993): The Most Complete Colored Lexicon Of Cichlids p 229-231, 4", "always found among rocks", eats algae; Axelrod considers this fish identical with Labeo. trewavasae.
Staeck (1994): African Cichlids II p 69-71, 12cm, rubble and rocky littoral of Lake Malawi
Marmalade Cat male.​

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store