PCC and Gaia DR3

RT--

I noticed Photometric Color Calibration only supports up to Gaia EDR3. Is DR3 support coming soon?

Last week we released Gaia DR3 databases in XPSD format, along with updates to the Gaia XPSD server module and the ImageSolver script to support them. The Gaia DR3 databases are now available on our software distribution server.

If you select the default "Automatic catalog" option in PCC, our ImageSolver script will use DR3 automatically, provided that you have the corresponding .xpsd files available on your local filesystem and the Gaia process properly configured. We haven't released an update to PCC because this process will change significantly, and we'll release a new color calibration tool by the end of August / beginning of September.

Hi,

I would like a clarification. Right now only DR3 is available. So a new user today will download GAIA DR3 and PCC will platesolve (since EDR3 is no longer available)- correct? Or, is PixInsight silently going to the internet in this case?

-adam

The upload area has two sets of files: DR3 and DR3/SP. What is the difference? Which do we need?

Please refer to my answer to a similar question in this thread:

I would like a clarification. Right now only DR3 is available. So a new user today will download GAIA DR3 and PCC will platesolve (since EDR3 is no longer available)- correct? Or, is PixInsight silently going to the internet in this case?

Yes, the Gaia DR3 database replaces EDR3, which is no longer available. We still maintain Gaia DR2 database files for compatibility with some existing projects.

Once properly configured, the Gaia XPSD server process will select the local Gaia DR3 database automatically when requested by the ImageSolver and AperturePhotometry scripts. Last week we released updates to these scripts, along with the AnnotateImage script and the Gaia module to make this change in a completely transparent way.

I can't seem to get this to work. I've downloaded all the datafiles available on pixinsight.com under the Gaia DR3 subfolder, files gdr3-1.0.0-01.xpsd to *-16.psd but I always get an error saying Invalid or unsupported Gaia database file with unknown identifier. I even re-installed Pixinsight.
1662298085024.png

Yes there is. With the preferences dialog as shown in your screen shot, remove the files, then change the popup at the top to DR3, then click select.

Package type : Module
Title : Gaia XPSD server module version 1.1.3 (update/bugfix)
Repository : https://pixinsight.com/update/1.8.9-1/
Release date : 2022-08-11 00:00:00

This package installs a new version of the standard Gaia module for PixInsight core version 1.8.9-1. This is an update/bugfix release:

• Added support for Gaia DR3 XPSD database files.
  • Added support for Gaia DR3/SP XPSD database files. These files include sampled mean spectrum data for a subset of Gaia DR3 sources.
  • Bugfix: The Gaia Preferences dialog was not updating database files in stored user preferences when multiple data releases were selected in a single configuration operation. This is now working correctly.

Copyright © 2003-2022 Pleiades Astrophoto S.L. All Rights Reserved.

How is the Gaia Process supposed to work to install the Gaia DR3 catalog?
For the benefit of others, I answer my own question here::
First download the 16 DR3 XPSD files (only) from PixInsight S/W Distribution to my hard drive and then select them in "Gaia Preferences", clicking on the wrench of the Gaia Process Interface and select those files on your disk. Then do a global invocation of the Gaia Process, after which Image Solver uses them when Local/Gaia DR3 is selected in the ImageSolver script.
Thank you.
Jeff

Last edited:
First download the 16 DR3 XPSD files
Folks should be warned that this is about 40GB of data.
The files contain successively dimmer (higher magnitude) stars, so users who only need brighter stars may not need the whole catalogue.
A summary of the file magnitude ranges:
01: < 16.59
02: [16.59,17.61)
03: [17.61,18.24)
04: [18.24,18.69)
05: [18.69,19.04)
06: [19.04,19.33)
07: [19.33,19.58)
08: [19.58,19.80)
09: [19.80,20.00)
10: [20.00,20.19)
11: [20.19,20.36)
12: [20.36,20.52)
13: [20.52,20.68)
14: [20.68,20.84)
15: [20.84,21.05)
16: [21.05,25.59]

Juan just replied in detail in another tread:

There is no need to download the entire set of 16 XPSD database files, unless they are really necessary. For example, for wide field images the first 2-3 files, covering up to magnitude 17-18, are probably sufficient in most cases. For other medium field images the first 9 files, covering up to magnitude 20, may be enough.

See https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?threads/cosmetic-correction-now-fails-in-wbpp-4-5-3.19202/ , post #12.

Bernd

Back